On 5/14/2012 9:07 AM, Kenton Brede wrote:
I'm just getting started with film. One of the things I've read is,
unlike digital, it's better to expose for shadow detail. I've read
that a lot of detail can be pulled back from the overexposed areas on
film.

My question is, can that detail be pulled back from a digital scan of
a negative, or can that only be done via wet print process in a
darkroom?  Another way to state this, should film be exposed in
different ways depending on how it will be post processed, digitally
or analog?

Thanks,

About the rule: I was reading a book by Eddie Ephraum last month and he harked on that rule a few times. Like any guideline, it is a good starting point but every situation is different. Unless you have a spot meter and are able and willing to work out the exposure, it really is a trivially generalized statement. If you are using evaluative metering the camera’s metering system itself is trying to adjust the exposure basedthe shadow / highlight mix. You really have to use a spot meter or at least CW averaging to really know what you are exposing for (or not).

Regarding scanning: Assuming we’re talking about B&W negative film here – any good quality scanner should be able to extract information from the denser areas of the negative. That doesn’t mean that the negs can’t get totally blocked up through over exposure and/or over development, but any good scanner should be able to get any useable data that is there. I’ve scanned thousands of images on a Canon Canoscan FS4000 and in the past year have been using a Nikon Coolscan 8000, with about 800 images scanned so far in 2012. While I used to scan mostly color slides, the last few years have been mostly B&W negs and C41 negs.A good scanner can extract a lot of data from either, but a poorly exposed and/or processed bit of film will never be ideal.

For a while I tried working with developer combinations and agitation regimens that resulted in lower contrast negatives – like highly dilute Rodinal (1+50 or 1+100) or HC110 Dil H or G (?) and infrequent agitation. My theory was to preserve as much shadow and highlight detail as possible, get the benefits of compensating developers, capture as much as possible in a scan, and then adjust as needed. It was a good theory but in reality I find that scanning a crisp, nicely contrasted negative is a lot better than trying to work through a dull flat one. So now I usually just develop for standard contrast and scan from that. I do tend to go for higher dilutions just because there is less room for randomness when developing something for 10 to 15 minutes, vs 5 to 7. The longer development time seems to even out the inevitable inconsistencies in processing (at least in *my* processing :-)

You may need to tweak the settings in your scanner software.Just make a preview scan and check the histogram and make sure that the black and white points are not clipped. If the scanner and software support multiple passes, that should also enable more data to be extracted from dense areas of the film. I’ve never needed that with B&W negative film, but have used it (rarely) for dense color transparency films. If push comes to shove you can do a few scans and blend them together. Just as in a darkroom where you’d make a base exposure and then mask off part of the print and burn in another section, you can make two (or more) scans and blend them together. I haven’t tried merge to HDR with multiple film scans, but that might be an easy way to capture more data. Both of the dedicated film scanners that I’ve used have had exposure adjustment tools that let you over or under expose the scan by simply increasing or decreasing the exposure time.I think that Vuescan also has a “long exposure pass” setting that does two scan passes – one normal and one at a longer exposure – to attempt to get more data out of scans. It’s been years since I used Vuescan so I don’t know if that is still supported.

Have fun!

MCC