From: Jeffery Smith

At the risk of sounding elitist, Windows Vista was the straw that
broke it for me and sent me to Mac. I know that Mac has the
reputation of being the computer for people who are too stupid to use
Windows, but I've been using computers since 1969. Windows 2000 was
the last stable version of Windows I used, and it is still the
default OS at our college because Windows has gotten worse ever
since.

I have a Dell sitting, unused, in my home office. I tried using it
for about a month, and got long delays with "Program Not Responding"
to the point of driving me to drink. It was a top end Dell several
years ago, and couldn't get out of its own way under Windows Vista.
I'll never touch Windows again.

I don't think it's elitist. I don't hate Macs. I just haven't had good experience getting them to do what *I* want them to do. The only advantage of Windoze over Mac for me is I'm a kind of a D.I.Y. guy when it comes to my computers.

As aggravating as this was, I know just enough about Windoze that I managed to find a solution on the internet that almost worked and figure out what to do from there. If I had a Mac & some kind of analogous problem, I'd have had to take it in to a repair shop, pay them to fix it and be without my computer for several days.

On the whole, I consider XP to be fairly stable & usable. It's the pinnacle of Micro$oft's OS development efforts. That is, of course, just my opinion, but it IS an opinion I hold in highest regard.

I'm getting somewhat inured to Vista on my laptop. I've had it long enough I've been able to tweak it into some semblance of doing what I want it to do. I don't have enough experience yet with Windoze7 to decide whether I'm going to find it acceptable or not.