The new Dell was really what exacerbated the problem. The motherboards were
failing on a weekly basis. They would work for a few days, and then when trying
to boot the computer, I would get a starting-up screen that would just never
proceed to anything. Dell did replace 3 motherboards free of charge, at my
home, and gave me a $500 gift certificate that I used to buy a second Dell, one
that would work when the other died. But the whole ordeal just soured me. The
same technician (local freelance guy Dell was using) came to replace all three
boards. He said that he was pretty busy doing that very thing all over the
city. He also indicated that we was not putting in new motherboards…they were
all "refurbished" ones that had been pulled from other dead machines. All were
made in China, which is not known for its rigorous quality control.

I'm really not missing Windows, even at work. Our Preventer of Information
Technology managed to get a policy approved that limits use of the college's
computers to virtually nothing. Can't have any programs on the computers other
than Microsoft Office, and cannot upgrade any existing software (permissions
are all removed). So, using it is a pain in the butt. Every few minutes, a
pop-up tells you that an update/fix is available, but we can't install the
update. And we also don't have permission to turn off the notices that an
update is available. Since I prefer Open Office's menu structure over the
Microsoft Office menu structure, I just bring in a Mac laptop and use it.

When OIT learns of this, I'm sure they will ban the use of faculty-owned
laptops on campus.

Jeffery