Take the 18-55 and 80-200 it's easier to get by with a gap between 55 and 80 than losing the wide end, and unless your shooting circumstance is very peculiar, you'll want a moderate wide more than a super wide. If you have something smallish and fast, say a 50 f1.4 take that too. You may never need it but it will give you the ability to shoot in lower light without flash.

On 5/19/2012 2:16 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Stan Halpin

On May 18, 2012, at 8:59 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
If you were going to be restricted to 1 bag max wt 30 lbs, what
would you carry as a minimum photographic kit?

The 30 lbs has to include all clothing & other necessities.

The stuff in my pockets doesn't count towards the weight limit, nor
does the clothing I'm wearing.

Not enough info John. So I'll give two option-sets based on two sets
of assumptions, two out of what is obviously a very large universe of
possible situations.

The "plan", such as it is, is to catch a Space-A military hop to RAF Mildenhall in England via the Patriot Express from BWI to Ramstein. Probably some time in September. I'm hoping to get there about a month after the Olympics are over and miss all the security hassles.

The 1 bag, 30lb limit is apparently a local restriction at Mildenhall.

Once I'm on the ground, I'm headed north to see if I can catch the Jacobite Steam Train from Fort William to Mallaig before it makes its last run of the season. When I went on my R&R trip in 2004 I missed it by two weeks.

2. Assume you'll be traveling to Rome or London or other significant
metro region. One spare battery at most plus charger, a smaller
handful of SD cards, storage you can download to, something that will
give you net access to upload your images. One body, three lenses:
21mm, 55mm, and 77mm. (I had many more than these on my last vacation
trip - to Rome in 2009 - but the 21mm and 55mm accounted for the vast
majority of my photos.)

Since I have none of those lenses, I'm guessing the K20D w/18-55 kit lens + at least one other lens, possibly that SMC Pentax-F 80-200 I was given. Maybe 2 additional lenses if I decide to take the Sigma 10-20.

OR Sigma 10-20, SMC Pentax-F 35-70 & SMC Pentax-F 80-200? I'm either going to be missing the range between 20-35 or between 55-80.

It's really going to force me to travel light, and that's something I've never been very good at. I'm trying to think this through beforehand, and fit almost all of my photographic kit in my pockets so they don't count against my baggage allowance.

I might try to take my K10D body without the grip & just a body cap mounted as a backup. If I remember, it uses the same grip as the K20D, so if I wanted to shoot with the grip I can just switch it over.

For portable storage/backup, to which you can download without a
computer, I have been pleased with the HyperDrive (3 generations
now.) Built-in rechargeable battery. You can buy the case (including
its logic board, power source etc.) and finish it out with your own
2.5 inch drive.

Storage is likely to be the Netbook I asked about earlier this week. It should fit in my coat pocket.

Take a monopod and use it as a cane or walking stick while in or near
the airline terminals - that shouldn't count against your weight
limit.

stan

That's an idea I hadn't thought of. I've got one of those collapsible walking sticks, but it's not sturdy enough to really use as a monopod. Doesn't go up high enough either.

However, I just checked and the cork ball will fit the screw on my old monopod. So that looks like a go.

I was thinking of seeing if I could mail my tripod to Cotty & stop by to pick it up on the way north; then mail it back home before I left, but the monopod idea sounds better.

This may all be just another pipe dream. I had three attempts at Space-A travel fall through before. Every time I tried to plan a trip while I was still in the service, I ended up getting mobilized and having to cancel.

And a trip I planned to go out west last January to do some winter photography at the grand canyon crashed and burned.

--
Don't lose heart!  They might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthily search.