I have a "late-2006" iMac with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gb memory. Before I
bought this machine, I had for years used a Powerbook as my only computer, but
I needed to upgrade in order to handle LR and the like. I understand that newer
better (?) program versions are going to use more code, exhibit some feature
bloat, and possibly require upgrades to processors, OS, and/or memory. But LR
in particular bugs me because it was touted as a modular program, and I would
think that the individual modules could still be reasonably svelte and speedy.
I haven't gone from LR3 to LR4 in part because I saw no improvements worth
paying for, in part because of concerns about speed, memory etc. I am sure I'll
get there sooner or later though, and am glad you all are working through the
issues!

stan