Most dog pics are taken by the dog owner, so I suspect the book author won't
have much trouble getting enough photos that come with "the
photographers"approval.  I understand why you would say no since you take your
photography seriously, but for the vast majority, having a photo of their dog
in the book is reward enough. I would be surprised if the author ends up making
more than $10 an hour for his efforts in writing this book. I understand his
predicament.
Paul