On 6/25/2012 21:22, Paul Stenquist wrote:
It all quite simple, except -- and this is a big except --

the matting. An inexpensive mat cutter generally yields inexpensive looking mats,
 with sloppy corners and imprecise edges. Even the good mat cutters
require a fair amount of practice. I would suggest doing all the
 framing and printing work yourself, but have a pro cut the mat.

Ed - I was about to write the same thing to you as Paul - thought I'd read what others said first :-) Get the front mat cut - and get the glass cut by a pro as well.. the reason for that is they will keep it absolutely clean for you.

I just framed stuff for friends of mine for a small fee - the frame was
28 x 22 (it was an odd sized watercolor) I got the cut glass, the framing material (Neissen bainbridge gold metal) the museum board cut to spec for about $80 - and I'm in NYC. :-) My friends paid for the materials,of course, and I took $30 from them for my work. Less expensive frames or getting them on sale - getting framed and glassed work from thrift stores and just getting your own mat cut can
um cut down on expenses and save fingers.  If the mat cutter messes up,
he will do it over for you.

Ann

 On the other hand, if you're willing to invest a

 lot of time and a fair amount of money in the effort,

 it might be a skill you would like to learn, but in my opinion,

 it's not easy. Others with fewer thumbs and steadier hands may disagree.

Paul