From: Ed Keeney

Now that the latest PDML book has been published (and it looks great;
mine was ordered today), I have a question for the masses.

In 2010 my print was hung in the DANK haus gallery with many of the
other entries.  I still have that print hanging on my wall here at
home.  Last year, I had my entry printed, mounted and framed by MPIX.
They did a really nice job.

This year I was thinking of handling the matting and framing myself.
Nothing fancy or out of the ordinary, but possibly working with my
local Blicks to get it together.  I am thinking of going 16x20 for the
print with a 2" border for the mat.  This would make the frame 20x24.

I have a ton of questions.  But I think I can work out most of them
with the team at Blicks.

For those who do their own matting and framing, is it worth the
effort?  I'm thinking if this works out well, I might print, frame and
hang more shots.  Is there a simple step-by-step process you follow?

To start with, my local Craigslist has 2 Logan mat cutters listed for
around $50 so the initial investment shouldn't be too much.  I'll need
the print, the mat and then the frame itself (this is probably the
largest expense).  Overall, I'm expecting it to be less than the cost
of getting it printed and framed somewhere else.

What do you think?

If you're going to do your own mounting, matting & framing, I suggest you download a free software program called Matworks.

http://www.gt-photography.com/matworks.html

Pre-cut mats might be another possible alternative.