Hi Paul -

I abbreviated the notes on the electric blues because the post was
already way too long.  Here's what I think is the cause.  I could be
way wrong.

As a result of some reading on Luminous-Landscape, Cambridge Color
Labs and a book on color management,  when I switched to Lightroom 4 I
also set the default color space to ProPhoto, since it's the biggest
color space generally available.  I'm still not convinced this is
needed, because you can't see all of the colors on your monitor or
printer.  The theory in the books and articles is keep everything in
the largest color space possible because you can always convert down,
but not back up.

My personal concern with this is that it really doesn't make any
difference with raw files because color space is assigned after the
fact.  When you store the raw file it's independent of color space.
This advice might come from the time when people were mainly working
with TIFFs, PSDs, or JPGs.  In those formats, when you assign a color
space you've baked it in.

So, here's what I think is happening.  I'm editing in ProPhoto and
looking at it on an sRGB monitor that can't display what I'm actually
doing to all of the colors.  Boosting the saturation of the blue sky
looks great on the screen.  But, on the monitor, you can't see all of
the blues that will print on the ink jet printer.

Then when I print in Adobe1998, the previously invisible blues show up
as a nuclear sky.

And you're right - turning on the soft-proofing changes the highlight
warning to out-of-gamut warning and shows you where you're going to be
in trouble.

I guess if you want to solve this by throwing money at it, there are a
couple of wide gamut monitors out there that actually display
Adobe1998.  Given that the two I have seen have commas in the price
tag, I'll stick with the out-of-gamut warning for now.

gs

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com
www.georgesphotos.net