On Jul 17, 2012, at 4:44 PM, Darren Addy wrote:

> Thanks to Ann and Larry for the comments.
>
> To my
>>> In other news, the Sigma EX 28mm f1.8 makes an *awesome* lens for
>>> aurora on the K-5.
> Larry added
>> Congrats!  I wonder how that lens compares with the FA 31/1.8
>
> Never having had one, I can't comment directly but by all accounts the
> FA 31 Limited is a wonderful lens and sharp, even wide open. For that
> feature alone, it would probably be a big improvement over the Sigma
> (which I stopped down to 2.8 for my images) and worth the
> 2-1/2-times-the-price-of-the-Sigma to many people. Shorter exposure
> times = more frames if one is doing intervalometer work to turn
> something into a video from the stills. I probably should have tried
> some wide open for comparison, but was pretty happy with what i was
> getting with my 15 sec. at f2.8 exposure times. The Sigma registers on
> my K-5 as a f1.7 wide open (but is officially called an f1.8 lens).

So does my Sigma 20/1.8

> I'm sure the 31mm limited is smaller & lighter, too.

I'm not.  The 31 is pretty big, especially with that godawful integral lens
hood, which is basically useless on an APS sensor.

> On the other hand, wider is better for aurora photography and the 42mm
> (equiv.) view for the Sigma vs the 46mm (equiv.) view for the 31
> Limited, on a crop camera is a plus. Bottom line is that I'd have to
> sell a bunch of stuff (that I'd rather keep) to be able to afford a FA
> 31 Limited right now and I'm very happy with my bang-for-the-buck with
> the Sigma EX (which was the first *new* lens that I've ever purchased.
> It would be fun to see someone do a head-to-head comparison.

Drive on out to California sometime and we can go head to head with the two.
When I got the FA31, I was debating between it and the sigma 30/1.4.   For a
lot of the photography I do, the extra 2/3 stop of the 1.4 would come in very
handy.  I've got a love/hate relationship with my Sigma 20/1.8, which is well
documented in this august forum.  When it is the right lens, it works
brilliantly, unfortunately, just as often, it fails brilliantly as well.  If I
had a K-01with focus peaking and no mirror change shutter lag,  it might
actually be a pretty good lens for what I bought it for, i.e. low light indoors
photography.