From: Darren Addy <pixelsmi...@gmail.com>
Sent: July 17, 2012 7/17/12
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: PESO: Last night's Northern Lights from south-central Nebraska

Thanks to Ann and Larry for the comments.

To my
> >In other news, the Sigma EX 28mm f1.8 makes an *awesome* lens for
> >aurora on the K-5.
Larry added
>Congrats!  I wonder how that lens compares with the FA 31/1.8

Never having had one, I can't comment directly but by all accounts the
FA 31 Limited is a wonderful lens and sharp, even wide open. For that
feature alone, it would probably be a big improvement over the Sigma
(which I stopped down to 2.8 for my images) and worth the
2-1/2-times-the-price-of-the-Sigma to many people. Shorter exposure
times = more frames if one is doing intervalometer work to turn
something into a video from the stills. I probably should have tried
some wide open for comparison, but was pretty happy with what i was
getting with my 15 sec. at f2.8 exposure times. The Sigma registers on
my K-5 as a f1.7 wide open (but is officially called an f1.8 lens).
I'm sure the 31mm limited is smaller & lighter, too.

On the other hand, wider is better for aurora photography and the 42mm
(equiv.) view for the Sigma vs the 46mm (equiv.) view for the 31
Limited, on a crop camera is a plus. Bottom line is that I'd have to
sell a bunch of stuff (that I'd rather keep) to be able to afford a FA
31 Limited right now and I'm very happy with my bang-for-the-buck with
the Sigma EX (which was the first *new* lens that I've ever purchased.
It would be fun to see someone do a head-to-head comparison.