I too prefer what exercise I get to be in terms of just getting out-side and doing stuff, but having a gym available is not like high school gym class. And thank god for that!

My doctor tells me I need to do some kind of weight training. To do that, I have a choice between having to buy weights or using someone else's weights (i.e. a gym). Do I want a bunch of equipment I'm not going to use cluttering up my house, or do I want it cluttering up someone's gym?

Especially since the gym has someone to assist me using the equipment without hurting myself. Which in turn means I might actually use it after all.

Some of us need all the positive reinforcement we can get, and that's one of the things you're paying for at the gym. And since you ARE paying them, they can't treat you like high school gym class.

From: frank theriault

Me, I can't stand gyms.  I think it stems from traumatic experiences
as a skinny, geeky, picked on youth in high school gym class.

I'm still skinny, but I don't think I'm geeky, yet I still stay away
from gyms.  I like to be out in the real world, which is why cycling
works so well for me.

Couldn't stand a stationary bike, I don't think.

Thanks to all who commented!

cheers,
frank