> Pat White wrote :

> There may be technical reasons that make it difficult to
> replace a, say, 3-megapixel CCD with next year's 7-meg unit,
> but it would make DSLRs more attractive.  You can take a
> 60-year-old film camera and use 2002 film in it, which I find
> pretty cool.  I'd like a DSLR that won't be a doorstop in
> five years, or is that just being unrealistic?

Pat,

this is exactly what the e-film offers : to allow a replaceable CCD sensor
into a standard SLR.
This principle is ideal in theory, but the company which sells this (silicon
film inc.) faces several severe difficulties :
- the company size is too small to over pass thechnical difficulties...
- it has no financial envergure nor support...
- it is annoyed ("not helped", or "not supported", I dont know the exact
english world...) by the Big SLR manufacturers, which prefer to sell new
SLR's, instead of allowing used SLR's to be digitalized by e-film.

To know more about e-film I enclose the link (those who already know if
forgive me):
http://www.siliconfilm.com/

Cheers,

Cyril.