On Aug 30, 2012, at 2:18 PM, William Robb wrote:

> On 30/08/2012 3:04 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>> Utter nonsense. It's one nincompoop's  list. The 1961 Corvair, for example,
>> is there only because an idiot wrote a book. And the 1995 Explorer is there
>> by virtue of some bad tires. But since these cars are so awful, I'll take
>> the Series III XKE V12 off someone's hands or that Biturbo Maserati. Hell,
>> I'm even willing to shoulder the burden of a Ferrari Mondial.
>

> My parents owned a Corvair. I was very young, and so only remember that it
> was a car.
> Apparently it was in the shop more often than it was on the road. I do recall
> being towed in from a long way out of town when the car went down for no
> apparent reason.
> It wasn't around for long before my dad bought another loser, a 1962 Impalla
> with an inline 6 that was easily as powerful as a couple of lawn mowers. If
> you managed to get that one to hit 70MPH, it shook so hard that one almost
> thought it would fly apart.
> My dad and the General parted ways for almost 20 years after that, when, for
> some reason, insanity took hold once again and he bought an Oldsmobile with a
> V-6 whose push-rod channels hadn't been drilled straight, resulting in
> destruction of the tops of them, and damage to the rockers.
> My understanding of the Explorer, from reading I did, was that the tires
> would have been OK on a lighter car (they weren't great tires by any stretch
> of the imagination though), and had the inflation instructions been within
> the specifications Firestone had set for the tire, but Ford knew better, and
> Kknew that the fix for unstable suspension was to drop the recommended tire
> pressure dangerously low so as to drop the center of gravity of the vehicle.

There is also the detail that a magazine had set up a test where they used a
shotgun aimed at the right front tire, with a lanyard to the passenger seat.
The passenger would then "spontaneously deflate" the tire without warning the
driver.  The car just went forward with a slight thumping noise of a flat.
Most of the rollovers were apparently due to drivers freaking out and jerking
the wheel around.