On Aug 30, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> Utter nonsense. It's one nincompoop's  list. The 1961 Corvair, for example,
> is there only because an idiot wrote a book. And the 1995 Explorer is there
> by virtue of some bad tires. But since these cars are so awful, I'll take the
> Series III XKE V12 off someone's hands or that Biturbo Maserati. Hell, I'm
> even willing to shoulder the burden of a Ferrari Mondial.

My understanding is that there were indeed some issues with the early corvairs,
though not nearly as bad as a particular egocentric attention whore would have
liked you to believe.   As I said, some of the most interesting cars were also
on the list.  The elite was designed to win races, and it has been argued that
if a racecar didn't fall apart on the cool down lap, then it was too heavy
making it more robust than it needed to be.   Chapman was absolutely brilliant
in that way, and I'd love to see a modern version of the Elite, made with
modern materials and technology.  Out of a motor the size and weight of the
Coventry Climax 1.3 (originally designed for water pumps for fire fighting) you
could probably get two or three times the horsepower today, on street fuel,
without forced induction.

I'd much rather have a six cylinder e-type (Jag never made a car it called the
XKE) than a v-12.  They were faster.  I'd love to upgrade one with modern
engine management, and a few other tech upgrades as a track car.