I seriously considered buying a used one in about 1968 or so. The deal fell apart when the mechanic I took it to looked underneath and found it was just about to fall apart (body rot).

I don't know if that was a typical problem.

From: Walter Hamler

In 1962 I was in the Navy stationed at the Ordinance Test Station in
China Lake, out in the Mojave desert. I was barely 20 years old and
had eyes for a young lady that worked in the photo lab where I was,
along with several hundred others. I was flirting with her one day,
threatening to pull her pony tail. She whipped around so quick,
shoved all 210 pounds of me against the wall, and simply said in a
stern voice, "Don't!"  I didn't, apologized, and sheepishly left the
room in a hurry. Several hours later she quietly asked me to follow
her outside.  There she explained that the year prior, she had taken
a 61 Corvair over a cliff and the rear scalp and skull cap of her
head was lost somewhere in the canyon below where the car stopped, on
top of her. She had had a blowout, and she readily admitted that she
had overreacted and overcorrected, causing her to spinout and go over
the side. She never did blame the car, but her parents did, and after
many years in court was awarded a settlement.  We became close
friends after that, but we never talked about the accident again. I
knew it was a very touchy subject with her. And, I never mentioned
the pony tail again :-)

In the late 80's I had a chance to buy a later model Monza with the
turbo charger, but was simply afraid to do so. Wish I had now.

Walt

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com>