On Aug 30, 2012, at 6:26 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> From: Larry Colen
>
>> On Aug 30, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>>> Utter nonsense. It's one nincompoop's  list. The 1961 Corvair, for
>>> example, is there only because an idiot wrote a book. And the 1995
>>> Explorer is there by virtue of some bad tires. But since these cars
>>> are so awful, I'll take the Series III XKE V12 off someone's hands
>>> or that Biturbo Maserati. Hell, I'm even willing to shoulder the
>>> burden of a Ferrari Mondial.
>>
>> My understanding is that there were indeed some issues with the early
>> corvairs, though not nearly as bad as a particular egocentric
>> attention whore would have liked you to believe.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the only "issue" with the early Corvair was they
> would over-steer like European cars instead of under-steer like American cars.

They oversteered like Porsches, which were of a similar powertrain
configuration.  In truth, the '61 Corvair handled better at the limit than the
'61 Porsche 356, as the Corvair rear wheels were suspended on control arms and
coil springs and had two u-joints on each axles, while the Porsche wheels
pivoted on the axles that had joints only at the center section and were
suspended on torsion bars. The Porsche did some very weird things when one hit
a bump with one wheel while cornering. The Corvair was considerably better.
Paul