Shel said:

> From: Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: OT: eBay tale of woe
>
> Hi Stan ...
>
> Maybe you need a new bank <g>. . . .
>
>> Stan Halpin wrote:
>>
>> My reason for not using a "debit card" rather than a check/cheque is simple:
>> I take savings over convenience. My bank charges $1 or $2 to process a debit
>> card charge, . . .

Shel, the suggestion you and JoMac make is good. But at least for now I'll
stick with the checks and occasional inconvenience rather than go to another
back with freer use of debit cards. The deciding factor for me is that I
strongly prefer a small local bank (owned by someone I know), rather than
one of the mega-banks that is so busy dreaming up new ways to confuse the
customer that they can't be bothered to actually deal with the customer. The
disadvantage for the small bank is that they can't afford to provide the
same services that the large ones do without some service charges, as they
have to pay the larger ones to do processing work for them. My gripe is that
the charge seems designed to provide an additional profit center. The owner
may be a friend, but I don't agree with his business conduct in this case.

stan