Quoting Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>:

On Oct 26, 2012, at 11:25 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

From: Bruce Walker
"I should have kept the PEF files." -- said by no-one, ever. :-)

I do what Alastair does. I've shot raws since 2007 and I've tossed out
all the PEFs, keeping only the converted DNGs (some 37,000 of them).

DNG is essentially a superset of PEF and they are both lossless
formats. DNG has wide industry support, and is a de facto standard.
PEF is unique to Pentax and Pentax supports both.

What about shooting with DNG as your raw format instead of PEF? Pros & Cons?

That's what i do. I don't see a downside, and i know i can convert my files on almost any computer, anywhere in the world. i see no reason to shoot PEF.
Paul

That's my take on it as well. I've shot DNG ever since that became an option. It means I can open the DNGs in PS3 whereas I'd need to upgrade Photoshop if I shot PEFs (or convert them to DNG in post - which would be pretty pointless). I haven't bothered to convert the PEFs from the *istDS but I may do one day.

--
Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters