I've had a few of the Olympus PEN series and currently have an E-PM1.
The E-PM1 can now be had for under $400 with a lens, cheaper ont he
used market  It's a pretty good 12 MP sensor good up until 800
normally or 1600 with some heavy (and non-adjustable) NR.  This would
leave 6-700 for lenses.  I'd suggest the Lumix 14 2.5 ($250) and the
Olympus 45 1.8 ($400), both of which are sharp and pretty fast.  The
E-Pl1, an older body with a similar sensor but slower AF, is also out
then for $189, body only.  IQ is not as good as the Pentax DSLRs, but
perfectly fine as long as you're not printing really big (16 x20)
prints.

--
Steve Desjardins