I ran into a similar problem with my Epson 3200 scanner on recent Mac OS. Epson
claims to have drivers for new OS options, but they don't work at all. Vuescan
works on Mac independent of the Epson driver, and it solved the problem to a
degree. But it was easier to achieve good scans of transparencies and negatives
with the old Epson software. Vuescan's adjustment capabilities appear to be
extensive, but in practice they offer little fine control. But clunky software
is better than no software.

Paul