My one macro is the DA 35mm F:2.8 Ltd. It has served my very well.
It's small, light, sharp, and makes a great general purpose. It
doesn't have a focus stop so AF can be slow to resolve if it misses
focus on the first try.

I love it for plants and small objects, but I'd really want a 100mm or
longer macro for insects. I've had no trouble getting light into where
I need it using either a ring flash, some diffusion behind the object
(white paper works), or bouncing light from some white foam core.

--
-bmw