I know that you've received other input and probably will have solved your
problem via a USB import from the camera. But I am wondering whether this was a
Lightroom issue or a Mac-OS issue. It would be interesting to turnoff LR, then
insert your card and try to copy the files from the card to your HD; then later
import to LR from your HD. Another thing I would try, as with any recalcitrant
external drive, would be to see if you can see the drive (i.e., your SD card)
from within Disk Utility. If so, you might try to Repair Disk . . . It may turn
out that the OS is less fussy than LR and may allow you to get to your images
without too much drama.

stan