On Dec 5, 2012, at 8:08 PM, Leon Altoff <leon.alt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The controls do this:
> Clamp: as stated by others stops the lens from moving when pointing it
> down (or up).  It puts a drag on auto focus which will lock it anyway.
> Use it if you need to, I normally left it off.

I'll just highlight here that it's a good idea to leave it the clamp off unless
you need it.  I rarely use it even when focusing manually and it does slow the
AF.

Check it periodically as it has a tendency to turn by itself (or get turned by
normal handling, bumping about in the bag etc).

> Limit: reduces hunt by locking the lens to the macro or non macro
> focus range.  I can't remember actually using it.

I use the limiter all the time because I use my lens as a general purpose 100mm
as well.  When you turn it to "limit" make sure you have it focused near
infinity, otherwise the limiter will restrict you to macro distances only.
Maybe you'll want that some day, but I haven't yet.

> It's a very nice lens.  Have fun.

Understatement.  Despite its looks it's a wonderful piece of glass.

Cheers,
Dave