on 2012-12-05 14:59 Mark Roberts wrote
I just confirmed the behaviour I suspected. I copied three fonts with
different embeddability settings from my Windows machine to my Mac.
The Info in Mac showed all three as having the same value on the
"Embeddable" line ("yes"). I need a more detailed assessment than
that.

yeah, i had a few brain cells tickling me about that OS X failing; there are several tools that can help but those that aren't command-line based are large apps (e.g. FontForge, which is free but hard to install); i think the straightest path for you is ttx, a command line tool which you can obtain most easily by installing Adobe's FDK (download link at bottom of EULA):

<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko/eula.html>

(do read Read_Me_First.html)

once installed, you can start by inspecting fonts one at a time with this pattern, which dumps the OS/2 table into a ".ttx" file in /tmp, then finds the fsType line in that file:

  ttx -d /tmp -t OS/2 /path/to/myfont.otf
  grep fsType /tmp/myfont.ttx

differing from the technique Godfrey posted, the result value will be in binary, rather than octal, so output of:

    <fsType value="00000000 00001000"/>

shows bit 3 is on (zero-based, read from the right); in the Microsoft table Godfrey's friend noted, this means "editable embedding"; i also found i have quite a few "free" fonts with no embedding restrictions:

    <fsType value="00000000 00000000"/>

i bet you are more interested in abnormal cases; so the following is how to process a whole folder of fonts to find those with odd embedding bits; these specific commands will inspect .ttf and .otf files in your "user" fonts folder:

  ttx -d /tmp -t OS/2 ~/Library/Fonts/*.*tf
  grep fsType /tmp/*.ttx | grep -Ev '(00001000"|00000000")' | open -tf

the result will display in TextEdit; in my case i have a large font library in in my /Users/Shared folder, at different levels in the folder hierarchy, so i ran a series of commands to process them all:

  ttx -d /tmp -t OS/2 /Users/Shared/font\ library/*/*.*tf
  ttx -d /tmp -t OS/2 /Users/Shared/font\ library/*/*/*.*tf
  ttx -d /tmp -t OS/2 /Users/Shared/font\ library/*/*/*/*.*tf
[quitting after four more levels]

and then ran the grep command above; i learned that i have about 500 fonts with other variations of the rightmost 4 bits; none use bits 8 or 9, but a few use bit 0, which is supposed to be off limits