steve harley wrote:

>on 2012-12-05 14:59 Mark Roberts wrote
>> I just confirmed the behaviour I suspected. I copied three fonts with
>> different embeddability settings from my Windows machine to my Mac.
>> The Info in Mac showed all three as having the same value on the
>> "Embeddable" line ("yes"). I need a more detailed assessment than
>> that.
>
>yeah, i had a few brain cells tickling me about that OS X failing; there are
>several tools that can help but those that aren't command-line based are large
>apps (e.g. FontForge, which is free but hard to install); i think the
>straightest path for you is ttx, a command line tool which you can obtain most
>easily by installing Adobe's FDK (download link at bottom of EULA):
>
><http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko/eula.html>

Thanks for all the help. I just don't think any of the approaches I've
found so far is practical for my students - there's now way most of
them could even operate a command line tool. And I shudder at the
hassle of getting out IT people to install software on the machines in
our Mac lab. We'll just have to get them to check this stuff on a
Windows box when necessary.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com