>> I stopped by for a quick visit to the Vintage Radio and Communications
>> Museum of Connecticut near the Hartford airport on Thursday. Only had
>> about an hour. An interesting place. Difficult for photography, as
>> it's either harshly or dimly lit in spots. If I go back it'll be with
>> a tripod, polarizer, and an extra 2 hours.
>>
>> I've liked old radios ever since I was 6 or 7 when my dad gave me a
>> 1920's Philco 3-band (2 SW and regular AM). I listened to it for hours
>> with an old pair of hard Bakelite headphones. Still have it.
>>
>> http://photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=564018
>>
>> As usual, maybe better with a double-click for a larger version.
>>
>> http://www.vrcmct.org/
>>
>> Tom C.

> Tom,
> I have an old shortwave bug in me as well.
> I find that my Antenna PBS stations (11.4 and 20.3)
> have news broadcast from other countries, but in English.
> Quite interesting to observe.

It fuels the imagination, sitting in the dark with the hum and the
heat given up by the tubes. Hearing foreign langauages, WWV, Voice of
America, morse code, slowly turning the tuning dial hearing the alien
noises it produces. I still love to tune in to shortwave.

Nowadays with convenience of internet radio a little of the romance is
gone. Yes you can still get shortwave with it's hit and miss nature or
you can instantly stream a crystal clear broadcast every time. The new
technology is great, the old was more fun.

Tom C.