On Dec 22, 2012, at 2:06 PM, Tom C wrote:

>>> I stopped by for a quick visit to the Vintage Radio and Communications
>>> Museum of Connecticut near the Hartford airport on Thursday. Only had
>>> about an hour. An interesting place. Difficult for photography, as
>>> it's either harshly or dimly lit in spots. If I go back it'll be with
>>> a tripod, polarizer, and an extra 2 hours.
>>>
>>> I've liked old radios ever since I was 6 or 7 when my dad gave me a
>>> 1920's Philco 3-band (2 SW and regular AM). I listened to it for hours
>>> with an old pair of hard Bakelite headphones. Still have it.
>>>
>>> http://photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=564018
>>>
>>> As usual, maybe better with a double-click for a larger version.
>>>
>>> http://www.vrcmct.org/
>>>
>>> Tom C.
>
>> Tom,
>> I have an old shortwave bug in me as well.
>> I find that my Antenna PBS stations (11.4 and 20.3)
>> have news broadcast from other countries, but in English.
>> Quite interesting to observe.
>
> It fuels the imagination, sitting in the dark with the hum and the
> heat given up by the tubes. Hearing foreign langauages, WWV, Voice of
> America, morse code, slowly turning the tuning dial hearing the alien
> noises it produces. I still love to tune in to shortwave.
>
> Nowadays with convenience of internet radio a little of the romance is
> gone. Yes you can still get shortwave with it's hit and miss nature or
> you can instantly stream a crystal clear broadcast every time. The new
> thnology is great, the old was more fun.
>
> Tom C

Numbers stations, Pirate Radio, and Radio Australia- without a satellite, or
marine cable in sight.

Australia is always a favorite, old tech, but still able to reach the opposite
side of the globe.
Almost always available at dawn, some days better than others.

Power outages are always nice, when a lot of interference disappears.

Too bad most of those cities have moved, or gone silent.

Cheeers
Mike