I can answer a few of your questions. First, in regard to lenses, the late model
wides are excellent. I bought the latest 55/4, and it focuses down to 1 foot and
is wonderfully sharp and contrasty. The normals are both great as well -- the
105/2.4 and the 90/2.8. I like my 300/4 as well. It's the last of the earlier
version, not the ED, so it doesn't focus very close. But it's very sharp and
easily handheld.
     I think the problems with mirror shake and shutter vibration occur mainly
when working with long lenses and less than adequate tripods at middle shutter
speeds, like 1/30 or 1/15. I have had great results handheld at speeds from 1/125
on up. I've also had great results with a tripod at 1/60 and at 1/4 and 1/8, all
with the mirror locked up. My tripod is hefty and has a broad base video head,
which is probably not ideal but it dampens a lot of vibration.
who has never worked with roll film, it might be a pain at first, but one gets
used to it in a hurry.
Paul