Boris,

I haven't used Metz 52, but I have been using Metz 58 AF-1 for over 2
years now (probably even 3).
Below, I compiled my impressions (posted earlier) of that model.
I am not sure if it is anywhat representative, but at least it will
give you some aspects that you may want to pay attention to.

I find Metz 58 (I have af-1) - considerably better and more flexible
than AF540.
Two main reasons:
1. It works reasonably well in "A" mode.
2. It has the secondary smaller flash in front that is useful for
the situations when you bouncing light off the ceiling.

I haven't used all capabilities of that flash, but these features
are useful. I only wish I could switch the modes (PTTL <--> A) via
a slider/button, as opposed to the menu, and that different modes would
keep their settings (say, for the small front secondary flash)
separately. - So that I would have it enabled in A mode, but disabled in
PTTL.

<<<<<

> 4. Flash mount: I don't remember if I had any issues with 540.
> With Metz 58AF-1 I didn't have major issues.
> However, after 2 years of frequent use, the plastic mount became
> slightly worn, and required that I need to make sure
> that it is tightened well and correctly (otherwise the contacts
> wouldn't
> match.)
> However, I think this is the result of how I used it. So, while the
> metal shoe of the newer model (58AF-2) might be an improvement over
> this, I think the original one is still fine.

It's been a year since that comment, and it still works, but I need to
pay attention to the position of the hot-shoe.
I don't know what type of shoe 52 AF-1 has.

HTH,

Igor

Tue Jan 29 13:58:25 EST 2013