I needed to update to an Intel-based system to run LR3. I did ... I'm
glad I did, and a bottom end new system was much much faster than my
old PowerPC top of the line system. I don't blame Adobe for making
their business decisions. Although I wasn't pleased to buy a new
system at that time, I do what I need to in the context of the tools I
want to use. I didn't need to update to LR3 at the time, but it was
worth doing it for other reasons.

Sitting around being "angry at Adobe" is just a waste of time and
energy. You don't want to use their software? Go use something else.
There are plenty of options.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com