Lr4 is a huge improvement over 3. They updated their raw  conversion  process
(hence all the new  sliders)  so  that's why lr3  cannot  render lr4 files and
why  the  catalogs  are only compatible one way.  I  personally  applaud adobe
for introducing  dng  and  have been a  big fan of  ACR since day one of  using
it. If you  are  still  running  a  desktop with an over 10 year  old operating
 system it  is  beyond  time to upgrade. XP is  no longer supported and is
full of  security  holes  with  new  exploits being  discovered daily.
Seriously do  yourself  a favor  and   upgrade.  A cheap  300  pc  is  likely
better than  anything  that   had xp  installed on  it originally. As  far as
your wifes laptop not  running windows 7...if  you put  at least a gig  or two
of ram  in the machine (rather cheap upgrade I might  add....) you  could
easily  run  windows  7 on even an  old pentium. No need to be stuck in the
past  forever.  Your  workflow would  be a lot less complicated
too  if you ran  the  same lightroom everywhere. Just a  thought.....