On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 08:43:24PM -0500, David Parsons wrote:

> As for dropping XP support, it's for the best ultimately.  Using a
> 64bit OS that can use all the memory that you can throw at it is a
> very good thing, and it tends to be accompanied with updated hardware.

XP did come in a 64-bit version. Any memory size limit is more likely
to be imposed by old hardware; my old (XP) system couldn't support more
than 8GB (although I only had 4GB on it, of which only 3 were useful
when I was running the 32-bit version of XP).

My newer (W7) system can support either 16 or 32 GB (16 officially, but
there are reports that it works just fine with 4 8GB memory sticks).