JCO,

Thanks for the tip.  I already have the 55/4 and got the later
version.  In retrospect, I may have been just as happy with the
55/3.5.  Live and learn.  I am still pondering the 300 issue.  Pretty
much boils down to close focusing.  It would be great to try them side
by side to make sure.  If I do go with the older one (less expensive),
are there different versions that I should be aware of?

Bruce Dayton

>> Bolo,
>>
>> The Leaf shutter behavior has been answered better than I can as I do
>> not have one.
>>
>> As for the focal length choices - in 35mm I like about the same focal
>> lengths.  For me, I will be doing many people shots along with scenics
>> so I was concerned that I didn't want to go too wide (starts to make
>> edge people look a little fat) and I have read that the 55/4 is one
>> super lens.  I suspect that in the future I will end up with the 45
>> and fisheye as I love wide angle lenses.  I have also found that 45mm
>> is more comfortable for me than 50mm.  The 90/2.8 is better for my
>> view and it focuses closer than the 105 - 2.1ft vs. 3.3 and it is 3 oz
>> lighter.  One of my overall favorite focal lengths is 85mm - portrait.
>> So the 165/2.8 was an easy choice.  I am now looking at the long (for
>> me) end to get a 300/4
>>

>> Bruce Dayton
JCOC> Couldnt figure out if you have actually bought the 55/4 or not
JCOC> but dont dismiss the 55/3.5. I did a shootout between it and the
JCOC> (new) 45 F4, and its identical performance to the 45. The only
JCOC> downside is the 55/3.5 takes a 100mm filter. I picked up a dead mint
JCOC> 55/3.5 off ebay for only 400.00, the 55/4 usually goes for 600.00
JCOC> used. Also beware of the first 55/4, its supposedly not as good
JCOC> as the second 55/4.
JCOC> JCO
JCOC> -
JCOC> This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To unsubscribe,
JCOC> go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't forget to
JCOC> visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org .