From: Charles Robinson
I found this odd plug of metal in one of the screw holes on the
bottom of the K5.  I'd have left it in there but the silver tip
sticks down further than the little "feet" on the bottom of the
camera so it had to go.

http://charles.robinsontwins.org/photos/2013/IMG_2219.JPG

A pliers was able to pull it out - it was a tight fit - and there's a
screw under there like there should be...

I emailed the previous owner and asked him if he was missing a
locator pin from a battery grip and he replied in the negative.

Does anyone have a clue what its function could be?

-Charles

Based on what I see & a quick look at my own K-20D, I think you've got it exactly right, it *is* the locator pin from a battery grip & the previous owner just doesn't know it's missing. Maybe the previous owner didn't have a battery grip & it was stuck in there the whole time the previous owner had it and he just didn't notice it.

What does it look like once you pulled it out?

Is it a little silver cylinder with the other end coming to something like the point on the little pencils they give you for keeping score at putt-putt golf?