Hey, I am going to butt in and reply to this.

No, Dave's 8x10s ain't no where near as good as a good chemical print from
35mm. They are about as good as the 'make an 8x10 from your 4x6 print'
prints that most people are going to compare them to. But then he sells them
right then and there and pockets the money. His other choice is to go have
prints made and approach the customer a few days latter as I have done in
the past, or at the next event if the customer is at the next event. So his
choice is salon grade prints, or a pocket full of money. To me that is not a
hard choice to make. His prints are acceptable to his clients and that is
really all that matters.

This list like most of the photography lists has this elitist bent that has
nothing to do with reality. This lens in not sharp, that lens is really,
good, when 99% of the people who look at the photographs can not tell the
difference. The depth of field on this print is not acceptable they say,
leaving nose prints on the print.

Not only does Pentax not know anything about supplying gear to professional
photographers, neither do their customers know anything about what is a
useful and therefore valuable piece of equipment to someone trying to make a
living from photography, or at least make it pay for itself. And, as an
aside, while photojournalism is the most visible type of professional
photography it is only a small part of the professional market

Now I know that most of the people on the list who looked at my web page,
thought, "what lousy pictures", but many of those snap shots, and I
unabashedly admit I do snap shots, put money in my pocket.

I know pros who do make money from pretty pictures, but I doubt if very many
of them make a profit. Let's see a 30x40 Cibachrome, matting, framing. My
cost $300 or $400. I need to haul around a 50 or so of them so my potential
customers can paw through them. Ah, I sold 3 8x10s this week for $50 each. I
have sold 20 or so of my $20 snap shots in a weekend. I imagine that is
about what Dave does also. His digital solves the problem that defeated me
in the past, how to get prints to the customer before they go home from the
event.

Why not buy a toy digicam? Because of the stupid problems that go with them
like the one you mentioned. What use is a camera that keeps shutting itself
off in the middle of a shoot to a professional. That feature is for idiot
that takes two shots of their daughter on the teeter-totter then put the
camera away until next weekend without shutting it off. Also the bigger
sensor gives higher quality images than the small sensor in the toy camera
does at the same resolution.

I guess what I want to say is, get real.

Ciao,
Graywolf
http://pages.prodigy.net/graywolfphoto