> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013, Darren Addy wrote:
>>
>> The K-5 is such a great camera... if you've been on the fence, this is
>> the same body that was a grand not that long ago and there still isn't
>> an APS-C camera that can surpass it.
>
> Not even the K-5 IIs?

That depends.  The IIs seems to outperform the K-5 in two major ways:
1) Low light autofocus.  If you take a lot of photos in a room where it is
too dark to read, this can be big advantage.  If not, it's probably not
something that you'd notice much.

2) It seems as if it has a titch better resolution on the sensor.  We are
already talking sensors with pixel densities where diffraction could be an
issue at commonly used f/stops.  Sensor resolution that pushes the
performance of many lenses. In other words if you have also spent $700 on
a tripod, and at least that on a good lens, and you do everything right,
and you print your photos at 20x30 inches, and look at them from six
inches away, you'll notice the difference between the K-5 and the IIs.

However, if you're planning on buying a K-5 IIs and want a backup body
that is usually indistinguishable, even going past ISO 6400 :-), this
could be a damn good deal.

I don't know what it would cost to rent a K30 for your trip, but there are
a lot of good arguments that buying a K-5 at this price would be a better
deal.  A good chunk of the price would be covered by not having to rent a
K30, and the UI will be pretty much identical to the IIs, so you don't get
the cognitive dissonance going from one to the other.  Also, rather than
spending a month or so learning the quirks of the K-x, then having to
relearn the tricks for the IIs, you're optimizing your learning.

Also, if you decide that you really can't live without a katzeye focusing
screen, you can mount one in it.

For that matter, I've put a lot of mileage on my K-5.  Make me an offer
and I might be interested in trading you mine and some cash for a brand
new one, dropping your cost even further.

--
l...@red4est.com via squirrelmail