On 2/13/2013 1:59 PM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013, Larry Colen wrote:
I don't know what it would cost to rent a K30 for your trip, but there are
a lot of good arguments that buying a K-5 at this price would be a better
deal.  A good chunk of the price would be covered by not having to rent a
K30, and the UI will be pretty much identical to the IIs, so you don't get
the cognitive dissonance going from one to the other.  Also, rather than
spending a month or so learning the quirks of the K-x, then having to
relearn the tricks for the IIs, you're optimizing your learning.
The K-30 is renting about the same as a K-5.  But that's not the point:
only reason I'd rent a K-30 is if Stef decides she prefers the K-30,
otherwise I'm renting two K-5 IIs.

The whole reason I decided to rent for the trip is because my experience
with the Panasonic G3 made it pretty clear that my "normal" photo style
isn't oriented toward an ILC's bulk and weight these days.  I'm making an
exception for this trip, but I don't want to spend the money for body
*and* lenses for something that's likely once in a lifetime.

Plus it took me several months to get around to getting rid of the G3,
so buying and then selling isn't something I want to deal with this time
around.  If this trip ends up being so much fun that I want to buy a K-5
after all -- well, it was a learning experience.  ;-)

Anyway, my original post was mostly a joke about electronics upgrade
cycles.
Well, if you're going to resist LBA I'm not sure how we're going to do our job.

--
Buy a Leica to get the full “Leica Experience”, (a quick reduction of funds in
the bank account).