On Wed, Feb 13, 2013, P. J. Alling wrote:
> On 2/13/2013 1:59 PM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>>Anyway, my original post was mostly a joke about electronics upgrade
>>cycles.
>
> Well, if you're going to resist LBA I'm not sure how we're going to
> do our job.

There's a guy named Donald Norman, an expert on design, probably best
known for a book titled _The Design of Everyday Things_.  These days
he's also known for ranting about web design.

Another of his books is _Headlights are the Facial Expressions of
Automobiles_, and in it he mentions that his family has a rule that they
must answer a series of questions before buying a new gadget.  I don't
remember his version, here's the version my primary and I use:

* Where are you going to use it?
* Where are you going to plug it in?
* How will you clean it?
* Where will you store it?

Our shorthand for referring to the rule is to cry out "Donald!"

This is a [somewhat] effective deterrent against LBA and other forms of
acquisitiveness.  Plus I'm just a skinflint by nature, in some respects.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/