Dan,
The only time we drove the road was decades ago.
The road around the east(?) side voided your rental car agreement.
It didn't look far on a map, but took a full half day to drive to Hana.
We never ventured any farther.
Just happy to get back to home base.
I still remember...
1,000 foot drop on one side of the road into the Pacific.
1,000 feet up on the other side of the road.
About 1 1/2 lanes of asphalt.
And crazy Hawaiians in pick-ups barreling around the curves at you.
Regards,  Bob S.