On Feb 17, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> What do you really need a Mac Pro 8-core for? My brother uses one of
> those but he does real-time work (video/audio editing - it's his
> business: http://www.headlinestudios.net/Headline_Studios.html) which
> is orders of magnitude more demanding than still photography work.

I don't need the 8-cores, but it doesn't seem that the 8-core mac pros are that
much more expensive on craigslist than the 4-core.

What I do want is the ability to put multiple drives in the case.  If I were to
get a mac mini, then I'd need to buy another box for external drive storage.
I'm not terribly space limited, and if I can get 8 cores of performance for
about the same price as 4, that would be a bonus.

You and I tend to photograph very different things.  I do a lot of photography
of events of the sort that in order to get the good shots of a wide variety of
people there, I need to shoot a lot of frames.  You may not, but that is what
works for me.  I tend to get home from these events late in the wee hours, and
want a fast turnaround on the photos for the people at the events.  In order to
scan through hundreds of photos quickly, I need to pre-process them first.  The
faster that happens, the better.

So if two cores takes me 20 minutes to pre-process, four takes 12, and eight
takes 8, and it doesn't cost me much more money for the extra speed, I'll give
up a little space on the top of my desk.

I expect that my next new computer will be some sort of macbook, because mine
is getting a bit long in the tooth, much worse than my iMac.  However, the
longer I can put off that purchase, the more power I get for my money.