Godfrey, you're the only one I've ever met who treats someone saying that they
have different needs than you as a personal insult.

On Feb 17, 2013, at 9:34 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>> What I do want is the ability to put multiple drives in the case.  If I were
>> to get a mac mini, then I'd need to buy another box for external drive
>> storage.  I'm not terribly space limited, and if I can get 8 cores of
>> performance for about the same price as 4, that would be a bonus.
>
> So you'd rather a box 10-15 times the size so you can fit the drives
> inside? Six external drives and the mini take up less than a third the
> space of my PowerMac G5 (same form factor as the Mac Pro). What's the
> value in that? And I can plug the six external drives into any system
> I need to in a second ... it's just one connection.

I have plenty of space on my desk. What I don't have is space in my bank
account.

A while back, I was looking around at external storage solutions, what I found
was that a box to put a bunch of drives in, that would do what I needed started
at about $600, before adding the drives.  This means that a $1300 mac mini,
with the space for external drives, is closer to $2,000, when I could buy a Mac
Pro, with twice the computational performance, and the space for drives in it,
for about $1,300.

Yes, there are other costs involved, but when I'm done I'll have a computer
that does better at processing a lot of files, something that is important to
me.

>> You and I tend to photograph very different things.  I do a lot of
>> photography of events of the sort that in order to get the good shots of a
>> wide variety of people there, I need to shoot a lot of frames.  You may not,
>> but that is what works for me.  I tend to get home from these events late in
>> the wee hours, and want a fast turnaround  ...
>
> Blah blah blah ... irrelevant.

I'm sorry Godfrey, what I do and need may be irrelevant to you, but it is
critically relevant to me.

> When I was in the business, shooting
> events and editorial work, I'd come home from a shoot with 2000-3000
> exposures, sometimes "in the wee hours", and process them down to a
> deliverable proof set of several hundred before I went to bed too. ...
>
> Gosh, I didn't know your photo business was so demanding.

That's the crux of the matter, it isn't a photo business.  It is a photo hobby.
 You may be a good enough photographer to earn enough to be able to afford
multiple leicas, and the latest and greatest items from Cupertino, but I'm not.
 Photography is a hobby, one I enjoy tremendously, but still it is just one of
many things that I do for fun.  When I take photos at an event, I'm almost
always doing it as a way to give back to the community. As much as I appreciate
the thanks that I get from people, I still have a job to go to, repairs to do
on my house, sleeping to do, and occasionally more enjoyable ways to spend my
time than waiting for a computer to process.  So, while it may not be relevant
to you how long it takes my computer to process photos so that I can select the
ones worth keeping, it is vitally relevant to me.

I value your expertise, and do appreciate your willingness to share it.
However, when I say to me that total system cost, and processing power are
important to me, the size of the system and a little bit of noise much less so,
you're telling me that I'm wrong, because your system works well for you, is
not very helpful.

If you can show me how to build a mac mini system with 8-12 TB of disk, and
that will process 200 to 2000 files faster than a used mac pro, and cost me
less money, then I'm very interested.  Alternatively, if you can tell me what I
need to look for in building up a mac pro system, to do what I want, which
models are worth getting or avoiding, how much memory I need per processor, how
big of a SSD system disk it is worth investing in (or hybrid) to boost system
performance, that would also be tremendously helpful.