On Feb 18, 2013, at 2:18 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> So if two cores takes me 20 minutes to pre-process, four takes 12, and eight
> takes 8, and it doesn't cost me much more money for the extra speed, I'll
> give up a little space on the top of my desk.

Don't forget to factor I/O speed in; when you hit the limits of file transfer
speed then it won't matter how many cores you have.

I don't know if this is feasible, but could you set it up so your initial
processing happens using an SSD, then you move the files off to big
spinning-rust disks afterwards?  That way you'd get a shedload of speed when
you need it most, but you don't have to mortgage the house to buy your SSDs in
the terabytes.

Cheers,
Dave