>1. Am I being unrealistic, in hoping that Pentax might produce a digital
>body, that I can use my 35mm lenses with? Has any manufacturer done this?

Hi Malc,

I'll answer the above point to the best of my ability.

No. And no.

As Pal points out quite frequently, on the news of the demise of the
'high end' MZ-D, Pentax said that they would be developing a
less-costlier digital SLR camera that would be compatible with existing K
mount lenses. There was no release date given. This is not speculation,
this is fact: Pentax announced it.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Pentax will ever actually produce a
K-mount DSLR, it just means that they intend to. They can change their
mind for any reason at any time. I for one, am convinced that they will
produce it. Not only am I convinced, I am sure that working models are
being road-tested as you read this. I am also convinced that it will be
released before Christmas 2002.

I won't go into the why's and wherefore's regarding whether it's a good
thing or a bad thing. Other's are far better qualified, and have already
put their points of view across, better than I could. Like you, I'm just
a guy on the list who would buy one, and as such I can only say that I
don't care whether or not it's a good thing or a bad thing. I will buy
one - within limits.

It must not be any more expensive than the competition - I'm guessing
Nikon D100 and Canon D60/30 territory. It must not be too far away in
'spec' territory from this competition, either. Personally, if the K
mount DSLR turns out to be a 2 MP £1199 job, I'm not interested. 2MP at
any price and I'm not interested. 4 MP at £1699 and I'll bite. 4MP at
£2299 and I won't. 6 MP at £1999 and I'll bite. 6 MP at £2699 and I won't.

I don't think it's unrealistic to hope that Pentax will bring out the
successor to the MZ-D at all. In fact I would say that it's not only very
realistic, but will happen, and within a few short months.

AFAIK, though I may be wring on this, the K mount design is licensed by
Pentax, and certainly there is no other manufacturer who has produced a K
mount DSLR body for sale publicly. Of course, that doesn't mean they
don't exist ;-) If I were Pentax, and working on the MZ-Dn, I certainly
wouldn't want Fuji or anyone else stealing my thunder...

Thood for fought.

Cotty