From: John Francis
On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:42:49AM -0600, Charles Robinson wrote:
On Mar 2, 2013, at 12:41 , Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

2. Why do radio and TV ads depicting camera shutter presses still
insert the sound effect for a film-era motor drive? Wake up you
ad-creating doofuses!! It's not 1995.

The sound-effect for most every digital camera (including
cellphones) tends to use this very same sound.

I sorta "get it" as an effect on a small electronic box so you have
positive feedback that the image-taking has occurred.  I DON'T 'get
it' as a foley effect for a non-film-era digital SLR being used on
a show... then it's just sloppy!

 -Charles

But my DSLRs do make a somewhat similar noise when I use them.

It's only really the sound of the shutter being re-armed, and
not a mechanical film advance, but it's the same kind of noise.

Arguing that "they got it wrong" makes me sound like one of those
sad anorak types who complain that the motorcycle noise on a film
sound track obviously can't be from the bike being shown, because
the tappet noise is far too loud for anything except a Norton (or
that the plane on screen has Rolls Royce engines, but the sound is
of a General Electrics turbofan).

This just in - films & TV get a lot of small details wrong.

Uhhh ... films & TV get a lot of BIG details wrong too.