Steve Cottrell wrote:

>On 4/3/13, Postmaster, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>>The job of the foley artists is to provide the sound the audience
>>expects - or whatever will emphasize the action on screen - not
>>provide *real* sounds. That's why we get spaceships making whooshing
>>sounds in the vacuum of space and handguns making the sounds of field
>>artillery.
>
>Very well put.

By the way: A couple of weeks ago the Museum of Fine Arts here in
Boston did a Kubrick film festival. We went and saw (among other
things) 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was even more brilliant than I
remembered it. Kubrick insisted that all the shots in space have *no*
sound effects because, well, it's a vacuum - except for the famous
Blue Danube docking sequences there isn't even any background music.
The effect is very powerful - in sound design less is often more.

Here's a good article about just one scene, and it mentions the
stunning sound design quite a bit:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/2001-a-space-odyssey,43912/

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia