Just think how great today's going to be when you get to 2027!

From: Bob Sullivan
So the good old days weren't so good after all...

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Tom C <caka...@gmail.com> wrote:
A few weeks ago I threw some Outdoor Photographer magazines that were
in the garage onto the backseat of the car, planning on taking them
with me on the plane. I thought they were all pretty recent.

I had a quiet afternoon today, so I got them out and figured I'd peruse them.

The first was from November 2012.

I opened the second and saw an ad for a Nikon F100. Hmm, that's an odd
camera, I thought. Turned a few more pages and saw the subtitle
"Dominant Digital SLR". Underneath it was: "The future of practical
and affordable digital photography has arrived. The Nikon D1 is the
first ultra-high-quality film-less SLR (2.7 megapixels with a
"reasonable" price tag about half of its nearest competitor).... It
also signals where this ultra-competitive market will soon be. Price:
$5,850"

Turn to front cover to look at the date of the magazine. November 1999.

Also an ad for the Pentax ZX-5N. "A low-maintenance companion...
Aren't your pictures worth a PENTAX?"

Some wonderful images and articles in that issue, including Galen
Rowell's column regarding the eyes response to light and the golden
hour.

Many images in the issue looked modern, but I also could sense quite a
number lacked the clarity of today's shots. Often too saturated reds,
pinks, and yellows losing detail, with a lack of "sharpness" I'd not
stand for today. Whether that was do to with film, no digital
sharpening, or low resolution digital imaging I don't know. Even some
4x5" prints taken with a Mamiya 7 and Mamiya 645 on Fuji NPH 400 left
much to be desired.

Tom C.