> From: Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com>
>
> So the good old days weren't so good after all...

In general I would agree with that, Bob. In near totality actually.

Prior to the advent of affordable film scanners, which I believe
largely came about as a result of the WWW, and the desire to share
images digitally, most photographers were stuck with using a lab - or
they had to invest in the time and cost of their own wet darkroom. For
me it was a lab or cheap photo processor at that time (early 90's).

All of us can do so much more and with an ease unimaginable 20 years ago.

I do miss the idea of buying a camera and lenses and sticking with it.
For me, it was largely caring about the film specs and making sure I
had a tripod and the right film, with the right lens.

I loved my film scanner(s) and the ability to scan and adjust images
was a milestone in developing as a photographer (pun intended).

Now though, would I invest the time in scanning if I didn't need to?
Likely not. However, as some have been doing, I suspect I have a
wealth of unseen good or great images sitting in slide boxes, that I
now may have the vision and expertise to extract.

I do miss the cracking open of a canister and inhaling the smell of a
fresh new roll of film.

Tom C.