On Mar 9, 2013, at 9:50 PM, Tom C wrote:

>> From: Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com>
>>
>> So the good old days weren't so good after all...
>
> In general I would agree with that, Bob. In near totality actually.
> . . .
> I do miss the idea of buying a camera and lenses and sticking with it.
> For me, it was largely caring about the film specs and making sure I
> had a tripod and the right film, with the right lens.
> . . .
> I do miss the cracking open of a canister and inhaling the smell of a
> fresh new roll of film.
>
> Tom C.

Digital (the K-5II in particular) allows me to do things that I could not
possibly have done with film. E.g., if you look at the exif data on the GESO
images I linked earlier, some were at ISO3200, others at ISO12800. Maybe, with
tripod, a lighting setup, assistants, careful rehearsal of models, etc. I might
have been able to do the alley scene on film, but not bloody likely. A handheld
serendipitous shot like that? Never.

Digital has drastically reduced the time from image capture to image
examination and assessment. Not talking about chimping here, though that can be
a benefit also. But instead of waiting for a week after the end of a trip to
view slides and evaluate what I shot, I can do that every evening on my laptop.
And learn from it and try something different the next day.

Digital has given me image files with way more information than scans, so that
I have way more latitude to work the highlights and shadow areas in Lightroom.

I have a twinge of nostalgia every now and then, thinking about film and the
swishing/swirling/tapping rituals of development. And the hours in the darkroom
making prints and breathing the acrid stop bath fumes. And I look at my
father-in-law's Leica sitting here as a paperweight and think that I really
should go shot some film. And maybe I will. Once or twice. But I really do not
miss the film era.

stan