EXIF stores the color profile of the image (which is sRGB in most
cases). If you remove the EXIF tags Chrome doesn't start color
management.

Try enabling Adobe RGB (1998) as the default color profile for your
monitor (your system is now wide gamut). restart Chrome and open
http://www.repiuk.nl/index.php/blog-mainmenu-97/245-colorprofiles.
Most likely you see two different (saturation) renderings of identical
jpgs.

Close Chrome and set your previous color profile for your monitor and
try again. Both images are now identical.

If both cases are identical I'll try to eat my ...

Toine